The Minority Aging Research Study is a unique study designed for older African-Americans. The goal of the study is to learn how to prevent common problems associated with aging, including poor memory, slowed walking and weakness.
We want to understand why we lose certain abilities as we get older, figure out how to improve these abilities, and discover ways to prevent aging-related problems from affecting our children and grandchildren. Our research assistants will come to you, and there is no participation fee.
Who can join the study?
- African-American men and women
- People age 65 and older
- People who haven't been diagnosed with dementia
What do I have to do?
- Undergo an interview and physical examination, once per year.
- Answer general questions about your personality, the kinds of activities you enjoy and your experiences growing up.
- Undergo brief memory tests and a physical exam by a nurse.
- Give a small amount of blood each year. We provide lab results to share with your doctor.