U.S. News and World Report rates Rush University Medical Center as a Center for Excellence for gynecological surgery. Rush has embraced new robotic technology and has become a destination medical center for cutting-edge technology. Rush uses the state-of-the-art da Vinci Surgical System with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity, 3D vision and control.
Joseph Maurice, MD, is the principal investigator for the ongoing research project at Rush University Medical Center addressing the cosmetic appearance of scars after minimally invasive surgery. The research involves analyzing results of patient surveys before and after robotic surgery and assessing the satisfaction with cosmetic appearance of scars. The preliminary data shows that patients are extremely satisfied with the appearance of scars.
Some benefits of minimally invasive surgery may include:
- Significantly less pain
- Smaller amount of blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Reduced risk of infection
- Less scarring (small 1-centimeter incisions versus 6- to 8-inch scar)
- Shorter hospital stay (one day versus three to five days)
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities (one to two weeks versus six to eight weeks)
- Fewer infections