Varenicline (Chantix) for the treatment of postural and gait dysfunction in Parkinson's disease
The purpose of this study is to test the drug Chantix on patients with Parkinson's disease and to see if it can improve balance impairment and postural instability often found in that patient population. This is a single-center, placebo-conrolled study, and we expect to recruit approximately 40 patients. The treatment will be assigned randomly.
You may be eligible to participate in this study if you:
- Have mild to moderate Parkinson’s disease with a history of falls
- Are at least 40 years of age
You will be excluded from this study if you:
- Have current psychiatric disease
- Are currently a smoker or taking nicotine replacement products
- Are currently taking Artane, Cogentin or Wellbutrin
- Have severe tremor
This is a partial list of eligibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided. If you wish to inquire via email, please include the title of the study in your message.