Chicago magazine is out with its biennial list of the Top Doctors in Chicago, and 43 specialists from Rush University Medical Center are on the list. The Top Doctors guide, prepared in cooperation with Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., includes 347 of the area's best physicians in 57 different medical specialties. The article is published in the January 2010 issue.
The special section includes two articles that feature physicians from Rush. Mary Wood Molo, MD, a reproductive endocrinologist at Rush, is one of only a handful of physicians to be profiled in the issue. The article discusses infertility treatments and Molo's greatest joy — "helping women become pregnant."
A second article is a patient-centered story that features Brian Cole, MD, MBA, a sports medicine specialist who heads the Cartilage Restoration Center at Rush. Cole's patient John Golden took on the grueling challenge of climbing Mount Everest after undergoing double cartilage transplant surgery on his left knee. To prepare for the challenge, Cole joined Golden on a climb at Mount Shuksan, and they later teamed up to climb Mount Ranier to raise funds for orthopedic research.
Rush is home to many fine physicians. Here is a list of those that were selected by their peers as among the best. Doctors' names are arranged alphabetically by specialty:
- Stuart Rosenbush, cardiovascular disease
- Annabelle Volgman, cardiovascular disease
- Theodore Saclarides, colon & rectal surgery
- Mary Massa, dermatology
- Steven Rothschild, family medicine
- David Van Thiel, gastroenterology
- Martin Gorbien, geriatric medicine
- Jack Olson, geriatric medicine
- Jacob Rotmensch, gynecologic oncology
- Mark Cohen, hand surgery
- Gordon Derman, hand surgery
- Stephanie A. Gregory, hematology
- Beverly Sha, infectious disease
- Gordon Trenholme, infectious disease
- Howard Strassner, maternal and fetal medicine
- Philip Bonomi, medical oncology
- Melody Cobleigh, medical oncology
- Roy Bakay, neurological surgery
- Christopher Goetz, neurology
- Robert Wright, neurology
- Bernard R. Bach, Jr., orthopedic surgery
- Aaron G. Rosenberg, orthopedic surgery
- Michael Friedman, otolaryngology
- Paul Jones, otolaryngology
- Guy Petruzzelli, otolaryngology
- Lawrence Robbins, pain medicine
- Ziyad M. Hijazi, pediatric cardiology
- Richard Levy, pediatric endocrinology
- Leonard A. Valentino, pediatric hematology-oncology
- James McAuley, pediatric infectious disease
- Michel Ilbawi, pediatric surgery
- John W. Polley, plastic surgery
- Philip G. Janicak, psychiatry
- Robert Balk, pulmonary disease
- Michael Silver, pulmonary disease
- Ross Abrams, radiation oncology
- Mary Wood Molo, reproductive endocrinology
- Robert Katz, rheumatology
- Brian Cole, sports medicine
- Daniel Deziel, surgery
- Thomas Witt, surgery
- Laurence Levine, urology
- Walter McCarthy III, vascular surgery
Chicago magazine's list of the area's top doctors was compiled by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a health-care research and information company. Castle Connolly's physician-led team of researchers follows a rigorous screening process to select top doctors on both the national and regional levels. Using mail and telephone surveys and electronic ballots, Castle Connolly asks physicians and the medical leadership of leading hospitals to identify highly skilled, exceptional doctors.
More Information at Your Fingertips:
- To schedule an appointment with a physician at Rush, please call (888) 352-RUSH (7874).
- Follow Rush on Facebook and Twitter.
Please note: All physicians featured in Discover Rush Online are on the medical faculty of Rush University Medical Center. Some of the physicians featured are in private practice and, as independent practitioners, are not agents or employees of Rush University Medical Center.
If you enjoyed this article and are not already a subscriber, subscribe today to Discover Rush Online. You'll receive health information, breaking medical news and helpful tips for maintaining your health each month via e-mail.