Undergoing organ transplant surgery is a complex experience in many ways, including financially. To help you manage the financial aspects, your organ transplant care team at Rush includes a financial coordinator who will assist you. The coordinator will work with your insurance provider, Medicare and Medicaid to obtain approval for your transplant and to identify potential gaps in your health care coverage.
You can learn more about the following types of coverage by clicking on the links below:
It's important to know what type of insurance coverage you have, particularly if it changes. If you have any questions, you can schedule an appointment with our care team's financial coordinator or social worker.
If you lose your prescription coverage and have no way to buy your anti-rejection medications, tell someone on the care team immediately. The team will work with you to protect your transplant.
Medical costs include:
- Insurance deductibles
- Insurance co-pays
- Pre-transplant evaluation and testing
- Transplant surgery
- Fees for recovery of the organ from the donor
- Follow-up care and testing
- Additional hospital stays for complications
- Anti-rejection and other drugs, which can easily exceed $2,500 per month
Non-medical costs include:
- Food, lodging and long distance phone calls for you and your family
- Transportation to and from your transplant center, before and after your transplant
- Plane travel to get to your transplant hospital quickly (if necessary)
- Child care
Even transplant patients with excellent health insurance coverage may face significant expenses for such things as medication co-pays and charges for family members' hotel rooms near the hospital.
The following organizations may be able to help you raise funds without affecting your tax status:
- Children's Organ Transplant Association, (800) 494-4527
- National Foundation for Transplant, (800) 489-3863
- National Transplant Assistance Fund, (800) 642-8399
- American Liver Foundation, (800) 465-4837
- Medicare Hotline, (800) 633-4227 or (800) MEDICARE
- Help Hope Live, (800) 642-8399