At the Coleman Foundation Comprehensive Brain and Spine Tumor Clinic, your surgery will be performed by nationally recognized neurosurgeons using the latest technology. In addition, a dedicated neuroanesthesiologist, who is familiar with the unique challenges of managing patients undergoing neurosurgery, is part of the surgical team at Rush.
The neurology and neurosurgery programs at Rush are consistently ranked among the best in the country by U.S.News & World Report magazine.
A Dedicated Neurologic Intensive Care Unit
Rush has a 25-bed neurologic intensive care unit — one of the largest in the Midwest — which is staffed by a team of neurointensive care physicians and nurses specially trained to care for patients after complex neurosurgical procedures.
Neurosurgeons at Rush use advanced technologies and techniques to maximize tumor removal while protecting brain and spine function, including the following:
- A carbon dioxide laser to remove the tumor more precisely
- Cerebral angiography to evaluate the blood vessels in the brain, helping to confirm a brain tumor and its location
- Cortical mapping of the functional areas of the brain to minimize the loss of these brain functions when removing the tumor
- Functional MRI to locate speech and motor areas in the brain, allowing neurosurgeons to remove tumors to the greatest extent possible without harming critical brain functions
- High-definition, minimally invasive endoscopy and image-guidance technology to better visualize the tumor during surgery
- Intraoperative ultrasound to minimize damage to healthy brain tissue
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques for spine tumors to reduce risks and speed patient recovery
- Skull base surgery that allows for treatment of tumors that previously were considered inoperable
- An ultrasonic aspirator system to better remove fluids during surgery
The multidisciplinary team at the Coleman Foundation Comprehensive Brain and Spine Tumor Clinic includes surgeons with the following specialties:
(back to the Brain and Spine Tumor Clinic home page)