We rarely think of the computer as a way to improve our health, but thanks to a new interactive tool, you may start looking at the computer in a new way, as another partner in your quest to stay heart healthy.
INTERxVENT is an Internet-based program, developed by a private company, that helps you assess your risk for cardiovascular disease. Once you've established your individual risk profile, the program assists you in reducing your risk by offering you a plan of action with specific lifestyle modifications. Rush University Medical Center is making INTERxVENT available within the Chicago area free of charge.
"We see this as a great tool for helping patients when they're away from us – between visits," says Lynne Braun, PhD, CNP, a nurse practitioner at the Rush Heart and Vascular Institute. "We're always available for follow-up care or questions, but any additional support that we can give our patients can be a helpful supplement to enhance their heart health."
The program takes you through step by step plans, offering access to a series of education topics presented in an easy-to-understand format.
The program also provides:
- Help setting short- and long-term goals
- An exercise plan
- A daily meal plan
- Diaries and logs
- Online follow-up assessments
- Progress reports
To participate, free of charge:
- Go to www.rush.edu/healthyheart and click on the link for the INTERxVENT welcome page.
- Click on the New Participants button to complete the Cardiovascular Risk Assessment (CRA). The CRA collects the personal and health information needed for you to join the lifestyle management program.
- Accept the Privacy Statement and Service Agreement.
- Complete the CRA.
- When you have completed the CRA, click "Continue." Then click on the "Display Results and/or Print" button to receive your individualized report and additional instructions.
- If you have any problems signing up, call INTERxVENT at (912) 353-8947.
"We are really exited that we have such a wonderful tool to offer our patients," says Braun. "It has the potential to help patients make the necessary behavioral changes to reduce their risk for cardiovascular disease."
Check out INTERxVENT through our Heart Health Portal.
Learn more about cardiovascular care at Rush, visit our Heart and Vascular Programs home page.
For more information on leading a heart healthy lifestyle, visit the home page for our Tool Kit for Heart Health
Please note: All physicians featured in Discover Rush Online are on the medical faculty of Rush University Medical Center. Some of the physicians featured are in private practice and, as independent practitioners, are not agents or employees of Rush University Medical Center.
If you enjoyed this article and are not already a subscriber, subscribe today to Discover Rush Online. You'll receive health information, breaking medical news and helpful tips for maintaining your health each month via e-mail.