Advanced Treatment Options
Specialists at Rush provide advanced medical treatment for stroke patients, using drugs that quickly dissolve blood clots and other therapies that preserve brain cells when blood flow to the brain is blocked. This treatment can reduce the brain damage and disability that result from a stroke.
We also work closely with physical and occupational therapists and other specialists to develop comprehensive treatment plans that help patients recover from the disabling effects of strokes and lower the risks of future strokes. An important focus of the program is education, helping people recognize the symptoms of stroke and reduce stroke risks, such as high blood pressure, and recognize symptoms of stroke.
For treatment of stroke or suspected stroke, patients at Rush have access to a full range of options, including the following:
- Neuroendovascular options for acute stroke treatment
- Scondary stroke prevention for intracranial atherosclerosis using the Wingspan stent system
- Neuroendovasulcar treatment options for complex aneurysms using a combination of platinum coils, balloons and intracranial stents as well as treatment for brain arteriovenous malformations using liquid embolic agents
- At Rush, virtually every diagnostic tool is available for the diagnosis of stroke and related conditions. Tools include the following:
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging
- Single photon emission computed tomography
- Positron emission tomography
- Evoked potentials
- Transcranial and carotid Doppler ultrasound
- MR noninvasive optimal vessel analysis (NOVA)
- MR spectography