Medical Center Engineering High School Internship Program
Application Guidelines and Instructions
The Science and Math Excellence (SAME) Network High School Internship Program, operated by the Department of Community Affairs at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago offers students an opportunity to participate in learning activities, both in the classroom and in the field, throughout the year. The goal of the High School Internship Program is to provide participants with an opportunity to explore careers in the field of science by working a variety of departments at Rush University Medical Center. The SAME Network believes that by exposing students to careers in health-related fields, students will gain increased confidence in their own abilities to obtain career goals, ultimately improving their academic achievements and encouraging more students to enter into science-related careers.
In 2005, the SAME Network developed a new component of the High School Internship Program, designed for junior and senior high school students, in conjunction with Rush University Medical Center Engineering (MCE). Medical Center Engineering High School Interns work as assistants during the first shift, Monday through Friday, under the direct instruction of engineers from various shops: Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical, Electronics, Carpenter, Paint and Inventory. MCE High School Interns receive extensive hands-on training during the school year to boost reading, math, science and technology skills needed to enter the trades.
- Possess a strong desire to pursue a career in the trades
- Be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident
- Enrolled as a 10th or 11th grade student in a CPS (Chicago Public School) high school (at time of application)
NOTE: All MCE High School Interns must be in the 11th or 12th grade to work
- Have a minimum grade average of “C” or better
- Demonstrate good skills and positive habits
- Capable of devoting 20-40 hours to program activities on a weekly basis during the first shift only
- Mail or deliver all sections of the SAME Network MCE Internship Program Application for 2006-2007 no later than APRIL 2, 2007.
- Provide Personal Information requested
- Briefly elaborate on all Short Essays
- Submit copies of documents outlined in Supplemental Information
- Submit three (3) original Teacher Recommendation Forms from (2) teachers and (1) administrator (available to the right under “Related Topics”) in a sealed envelope with application
- Complete Parent/Guardian Information
- Complete Emergency Information
- Accept and sign Applicant Statement (Applicant)
- Accept and sign Parent/Guardian Statement (Parent/Guardian)
- Finalists will participate in a personal interview with Rush University Medical Center staff and stakeholders. Interviews will take place at Rush University Medical Center on April 13, 2007, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Prior to becoming a MCE High School Intern, applicants must meet employment criteria Rush University Medical Center. Applicants will submit an employment application packet and be subject to a screening by a representative of Human Resources which includes but is not limited to a criminal background check and testing for illegal drug use.
Mail or deliver applications to:
Mishawna S. Manning, Community Affairs
Rush University Medical Center
1653 West Congress Parkway, 401 Kidston Building
Chicago, Illinois 60612-3833.
Retain a copy of all submitted documents. For more information, contact Mishawna S. Manning at (312) 942-3016 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Submit original application and teacher recommendations. Retain a copy of all submitted documents for your records.
For further information, contact Mishawna Manning in Community Affairs at (312) 942-3016.