Interventional Nursing is the newest nursing department at Rush. The units within this department focus on providing nursing care and monitoring to patients undergoing invasive cardiac, endoscopic, radiologic imaging and diagnostic procedures.
Intravenous Access Services
- Initiates IV access throughout the medical center, with a primary focus on PICC lines placement
- Provides education and support of all types of venous access
- Many of our nurses have obtained CRNI, a national certification in infusion therapy.
- Radiology nurses provide patient education, assessment, intra-procedural sedation monitoring and post-procedure follow-up and care.
- Staff provides care and support for patients having diagnostic radiography, imaging studies, image-guided therapeutic procedures and other procedures including vascular access, organ biopsies and abscess drainage
Electrophysiology Lab and Arrhythmia Device Clinic
- Electrophysiology (EP) Lab performs all types of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Actively participate in clinical research trials
- Arrhythmia Device Clinic follows more than 2,200 patients
- Strong emphasis on patient education and ongoing quality improvement projects
- All staff trained to work in both EP Lab and Arrhythmia Device Clinic
Cardiac Catheterization Labs
- All types of cardiac and peripheral diagnostic and interventional procedures performed
- Actively participates in many clinical trials
- Weekly interdisciplinary team clinical conferences are held, along with bimonthly morbidity and mortality conferences
- State of the art care for patients with a wide variety of GI disorders
- Nurses provide pre-procedure assessment screening, intra-procedural sedation monitoring and post-procedure recovery
- Focus on patient education and care in a compassionate and safe environment
- Procedures include colonoscopy, enteroscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), esophageal ultrasound (EUS)