Educational approaches to weight management in breast cancer survivors
Weight gain frequently accompanies chemotherapy and thus may predispose women to cancer recurrence, diabetes, heart disease and depression and other emotional problems.
This study will test whether an Internet lifestyle modification program for female breast cancer survivors is equally, less or more successful that a traditional lifestyle program. Women will be randomly assigned to either the Internet lifestyle program or a traditional lifestyle program.
Success will be defined in two ways:
1) Weight maintenance over one year:
- If woman is normal weight (BMI £ 25 kg/m2 ) at study entry, to maintain that weight within 2 kg over the next 12 month
- If the woman has a BMI exceeding 25 kg/m2, to reduce her weight by 10%.
2) Emotional and overall quality of life:
- If depression scores are lowered
- If functional quality is increased
You may be eligible to participate in this trial if you:
- Have had histologically confirmed breast cancer within last six months
- Have a tumor stage I through IIIa
- Are 21 years to 70 years of age
- Have Internet access through a home computer, local library or municipal building
- Have the approval of a primary physician
This is a partial list of the eligibility criteria. To determine whether you are eligible, please call the contact number provided. If you choose to respond by e-mail, please provide the study title in your query.