Severe Liver Disease and Accompanying Hepatic Encephalopathy
The purpose of this study is to investigate the use of rifaximin compared to placebo in subjects with severe liver disease who also have a history of hepatic encephalopathy (HE). Approximately 100 subjects are expected to take part in this research study. Locally at Rush University Medical Center, there are expected to be five subjects enrolled.
You may be eligible to participate in this study if you:
- Are male or a non-pregnant, non-breast feeding female 18 years of age or older
- Have had one or more episodes of overt HE associated with liver disease within the last six months
- Have a MELD score of 19 or higher
You will be excluded from this study if you:
- Have consumed an alcoholic beverage within 14 days of the first research or show current evidence of drug dependence
- Have been diagnosed with HIV as determined by medical history
- Have renal insufficiency requiring routine dialysis
This is a partial list of eligibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided.